Divisions / Blast Ball
The Blast Ball program is designed for 4 and 5 year olds who are playing baseball for the first time.
5 year olds may register in either T-Ball or Blast Ball Divisions. It is recommended that 5 year olds with no previous baseball experience register for Blast Ball.
Blast Ball is a fast and fun introduction to baseball for players league age 4 and 5 year olds. Blast Ball introduces some basic concepts of baseball and teamwork. The program requires parent participation as this provides further encouragement for the young players. Teams are small with only 4-6 players and 2 coaches and every player gets an opportunity to hit the ball each inning. In Blast Ball there are 3 innings played and an inning is complete when each player has had a turn at bat.
In Blast Ball, there is only one base, the Blast Base and it is placed at the first base location. Each team takes a turn at batting (offence) and fielding (defence) per inning. Defensive players rotate fielding positions much like in a regular baseball game with the defensive players taking an infield or outfield position. For each at bat, the ball is placed on the tee and the batter hits the ball and runs to the Blast Base. Once the batter steps on the Blast Base, a horn sounds. When the defensive player either catches the ball in the air, or fields the ball, they yell "BLAST". In Blast Ball, there are NO SAFEs or OUTs. The batter returns to the dugout after their hit and run to the Blast Base.
In Blast Ball there is no requirement for ball gloves as the Blast Ball is soft and baseball gloves are optional. The softness of the ball will also eliminate the fear factor of being hit by the ball.
Parent duties consist of raking the field before and after each game and managing kids in the dugout.
"Teammate" and "Sibling" requests for team placement are accepted for Blast Ball and T-Ball divisions.
Sessions are a combined practice (15-20 minutes) and a game. 2 teams are scheduled at each diamond.
Where do we play?
- Jeannie Elliot (A&B) - 3031 Lindsay Drive SW
- Glendale - Glenmount Dr SW & Gatefield Ave SW
- Connect Charter School (A&B) - 5915 Lewis Dr SW,
- St Thomas - 45 St SW & 25th Ave SW
When do we play?
- Sessions take place on Monday and Wednesday at 6:00 - 7:00 PM starting April 29th ending June 24th
What equipment is required?
- T-shirt, pants and cap are supplied by CWLL and are kept by the player.
- Batting helmets, bat, tee, ball, and Blast Base are provided by CWLL.
- All players must supply and use groin protection.
What are the fees?
- $125 per player plus $25 field maintenance fee for total fees of $150.
- Family Discount: 2nd child is $10 off; 3rd child is $15 off; and 4th child $20 off.
- Financial assistance with Registration Fees is offered by KidSport at www.kidsport.ab.ca please visit their website to determine eligibility.
- Online registration is available commencing on January 1.
If you are interested in coaching Blast Ball, please indicate this on the online registration form or contact the Blast Ball Division Coordinator at email@example.com