Divisions / Major
What is Majors?
The Major Division is for 11 and 12 year olds and it represents the premiere Division of Little League Baseball. The game is essentially the same as is played in Minor Division but is played with strict adherence to the Little League Rulebook.
This is the Division for Little League All-Star play (July-August) with the chance to go to the Little League World Series held in Williamsport, PA.
All 11 and 12 year old players must register for the Major Division.
- Players who are 12 years old are required by Little League regulations to play at the Major Division level.
- A 12 year old may participate at the Minor level, but only if the parents sign a waiver attesting that this is their wish, and this must be approved by the League President and our District Administrator. A 12 year old player is not allowed to pitch in the Minor Division.
- 11 year old players will be placed in either the Major or Minor Division based on total number of registrants in these age groups, the player evaluation results, and results of drafts (if used).
- Some 10 year old players may be invited to tryout for the Major Division based on their evaluation results at the Minor evaluation session.
In the Major Division there are usually 11 to 13 players per team and they are selected onto teams after an evaluation process before the start of the season. There are a maximum of nine players in the field defensively for each inning. Players are rotated through the infield and outfield positions and may sit for one or two innings at the discretion of the coaches.
"Teammate" requests for team placement are NOT accepted in the Rookie, Minor, Major and Senior Divisions. "Sibling" requests for team placement will be considered at all levels for players eligible to play within the same division.
Where do we play?
- 1 diamond located at Rosscarrock Community Centre
- 1 diamond located Optimist Athletic Park
- 2 diamonds at Springbank Park For All Seasons
- 1 practice diamond located at Battalion Park
When do we play?
Games and practices will take place on any day of the week, including weekends. Frequency of games and practices for teams is approximately 2 games and 1-2 practices per week. Games and practices are approximately 2 hours in length.
For events occurring during the week - start times are between 6:00 and 6:30 PM. For weekends the start times can be anywhere from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Games and practices will commence late April and run until late June.
CWLL will strive to have at least one qualified umpire at every regular season and playoff game.
There will be a number of opportunities for out-of-league tournament play, many of which will be out-of-town. CWLL covers the registration fees for the team for those tournaments.
What equipment is required?
- Numbered baseball jersey and belt for pants (which must be returned at the end of the season), ball cap, baseball pants, and baseball socks are supplied by CWLL with the pants, cap and socks kept by the player.
- All players must supply their own ball glove and running shoes or cleats (non-metal).
- All players must supply and use groin protection.
- Players must supply their own batting helmet. Please make sure it fits properly, is CSA approved, and mark it to identify it as your child's. A face guard on the helmet is optional.
- ATTENTION: Although Calgary West Little League does not require players at the Major level to wear helmets with face shields we strongly encourage players at the Majors level who wish to wear a face shield do so as a face shield is highly effective in reducing the likelihood of sustaining a facial injury if hit by a pitch.
- Many players have or will wish to purchase their own baseball bats. There are very strict rules about the dimensions and composition of bats allowed for Little League play. For further information on bats: CLICK HERE
- Each team will have an adequate supply of approved bats provided by CWLL.
What are the fees?
- $325 per player plus $25 field maintenance fee for total fees of $350.
- Family discount: 2nd child is $10 off; 3rd child is $15 off; and 4th child is $20 off.
- Financial assistance with registration fees is offered by KidSport at www.kidsport.ab.ca please visit their website to determine eligibility.
- Online registration is available commencing on January 1.
All players aged 7 to 18 years of age must go through an evaluation process to ensure that players are placed in the appropriate division based on age, ability, skill level and safety considerations.
Players will be evaluated with other players of the same league age as defined by Little League Baseball. Evaluations will be held for the following age groups: 7-8 year olds, 9-10 year olds and 11-12 year olds, 13, 14-16, and 17-18 year olds. The teenage evaluations may be conducted at the District Level.
Attendance at evaluation sessions is MANDATORY and non-attendance may result in the player being de-registered from the league.
An 11 year old could be assigned to either the Major or Minor division based on his/her evaluation results, the number of registrants in each age group, and the results of player draft(s), if applicable.
Some 10 year olds players may be invited by league officials to try out for the Major Division and the following criteria will apply: 1) must have played the previous year in the Minor Division 2) must be one of the top players in their age group 3) there must be available spots in the higher division 4) must be recommended to play up and invited to try out for the higher division.
All 10 year old players trying out for the Major Division must still register for Minor Division, and then attend the scheduled "Make up and Tryout" evaluation session which will be posted on the "Player Evaluations" page. If you are interested in having your 10 year old player attend a tryout session for the Major Division, please contact the Major Division Coordinator at email@example.com
Calgary West Little League exists to provide the youth of our community with an affordable opportunity to learn excellent baseball skills in a fun, healthy, environment and to develop the three attributes of Little League's Motto: Character, Courage, and Loyalty; to also understand an individual's contribution to a team, to value healthy competition, and to respect the game and all its participants. Our goal is that these values and attributes will extend in the lives of our players beyond baseball.
It is our vision that we will continue to inspire pride in every player, parent, and volunteer for being part of a continuing tradition that has made Calgary West Little League a successful Little League in Canada since 1969.
Calgary West Little League
P.O. Box 15001
RPO Aspen Woods
Calgary, AB T3H 0N8